Wednesday, December 16, 2009

About the music business

Great article today in the NYT on How the music business is going subscription based: no need to own music tracks any more - or dare I say CDs - you just have to go online or on your mobile and use it as your infinite jukebox. I can really relate to that article as despite my >6,500 songs in my itunes library (and my hundreds of cds in jewel cases somewhere in a box in my apt), I seem to gravitate around spotify when in the UK, Pandora when in the US and deezer when I'm in France. I definitely see a trend for the industry there, and to the naysayers I would say like Bob at the end of this article: “If you ask anybody today, they’ll tell you, ‘I need to own it.’ But once you have these services, you get to the point of, ‘Why would I own it, because I have access to everything?’ ”

* More at NYT

To put this in perspective, check out this great visual rendering of the 'death of' the music industry from the 8-tracks to the ringtones. Scary huh?
@ informationisbeautiful

No comments:

Post a Comment